WOO HOO! I’m so excited. I finished my dresser, and this is the official unveiling. I worked 4 days on it. It happens when you work and go to the gym, and it’s now residing in my room!
Here’s the break down of what I used:
I painted everything before putting it together and lined the drawers before building them. It’s just easier that way.
I liked the raw wood color on the sides, so I treated that with a few coats of Polycrylic using a brush. Then with a foam rollers, I painted the top and drawers. The paints and Polycrylic have no scent whats so ever, so I didn’t need to take it out to the balcony. Which was a good thing since it’s been raining like crazy. One advise, use plastic or cloth to protect your floors. Cardboard, tends to get stuck to your work once it dries. Learned that the hard way lol.
As per the paint, I could have used a cheaper brand but I am super happy I didn’t. Behr utterly surprised, and impressed me with the quality. Not only is it self-priming, it contains little to no odor. I only used two coats on raw wood and it fully covered. Another thing I loved about it, is how fast it dries. Literally an hour and its dry. Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra dollars on your next project because I’ll never buy another brand again. It was worth the extra $3.
The stencil, I did get from work. Yes, it’s meant to be used in cakes and such, but I didn’t see why I couldn’t use it on furniture. It came out pretty cute if I do say so myself. It’s a little messy, and I was really upset with myself for not waiting for it to dry before moving on. However when it did dried, I took a step back and fell in love with the rustic-messy look.
For being my first DIY furniture, I think it came out pretty good and I am really happy with how it turned out. My next project is my bookcase, and it’s waiting for me in the hallway. I guess I love torture LOL.
Have a lovely weekend!